Monday, August 11, 2014

Talisay’s The Ruins (because love)

A well with a bell; (c) Arnel Vergara
We had a side trip on the Ruins when we climbed Mt. Kanlaon last May. When we got there I asked if anyone knows the history of the remains of what seems to be a two - story house that was not finished (I thought they were only able to erect the pillars and framework, I forgot it was “The Ruins”) but all they said was it's like the Symbol for Negros and that you just have to go there to tell friends and family that "Hey, I was here".
That wasn't a very compelling reason for me to go visit the place but I agreed that since we were there why not check it out. I figured whoever owns that house in a time when I wasn't born yet must really be of some sort of royalty, no wealthy family back in my hometown owned an old house like that, then I went on marveling at what a wide lawn they have filled with gardens and ponds and how I'd want to have my own one day.

The Backyard; (c) Maritess Dolor
When I searched for it online though  back in Manila I decided to write a whole blog about it. The Ruins was actually finished, it used be a two-story mansion built by then a Don Mariano Ledesma Lacson (I think Lacsons really have a history of prominent powerful families) who married a Portuguese named Maria Braga, they met in Hong Kong where Don Mariano was touring (traveler huh?). The mansion was built in memory of Maria Braga after her death when she was about to deliver their 11th child and home to him and his unmarried children, he and Maria had 10 children, the 11th also died with the mother. Don Mariano himself moved to a cottage nearby when he remarried years later.
View from the Fron Yard; (c) Joel Catipay
It was built enlisting the ideas of Maria Braga's father who was a captain of a ship that sailed across the globe so the house had the finest furniture and items from around the globe, mostly European during that time. It was built in the middle of a sugar cane plantation so they really won’t run out of space regardless of how many ponds and gardens they make. The front yard also has a vintage, rustic, four-tiered water fountain with a small pond below it, the view is so much better around sunset as what I've seen from other's photos. Its Pillars also bear the two letter Ms which stands for Mariano and Maria, sweet.
The mansion however had to meet its blazing end when Don Mariano himself agreed with the American's to burn it down to avoid the Japanese from making it their headquarters during the World War II.
Because of the materials used in building the mansion the Pillars and the staircase remained even after three days of flame, or maybe they had love poured into the construction that not even fire can destroy it? But really, it was built with A-grade concrete materials that made it withstand the fire (construction was supervised by one of the Don’s son). Still, I knew it was love that made sure it stays (wink).
Let us feel like we own it or a moment. 
If you want to visit this place the best time to do it is around sunset because the finishing used for the building was mixed with egg yolk and it glows when hit by the sunset rays giving it a cinematic glow reminding us that true love really does stand the test of time. J
Here’s how to get there (I found this online as well as we hired a van), if you’re lucky you might meet the tour guide Roger (who they said tell The Ruins history with a twist), I wonder where he was when we were there.
From the Airport:
-          Ride a van going to Silay proper, (I personally saw the vans there just in front of the airport, just right before your eyes when you exit the arrival area)
-          From Silay proper, take a mini bus to take you to Bata.
-          From the Bata terminal you can ride a tricycle to take you to the ruins.

From Bacolod City:
-          Ride a Jeep bound to Bata-Libertad.
-          Ask the driver to drop you off the Pepsi Plant or tell him you are going to The Ruins and drop you on the street that leads you there.
-          On the street there is a sign that says “This Way to The Ruins”, and you will find tricycles that can take you there.

Here are the travel blogs where I got my info from if you want to check it out.


  




No comments:

Post a Comment