Monday, August 18, 2014

Mt. Apo (with a proposal)

Where do I start? Well, First Mt. Apo as most of us know is in Davao, the most livable city in the Philippines. I have to say that because I really find the city peaceful and the security officers at the airport made me feel that they are really looking after my safety.
Top Load on our way to Sta.Cruz
On our first day (Thursday) we went water tubing first before heading to Sta. Cruz jump off point and man was it far? Really far. We had to change from a jeep to a truck when we reached Sta. Cruz proper because it really was not hired to take us any further simply because it can’t, they have trucks that are actually designed to survive the road on our way to the jump off.
Group Chat somewhere along the boulders.
On our first night we hiked for around 1 hour to get to the camp site as planned, it was an excellent idea really because at least we were able to earn a few kilometers.
On our second Day (Friday) we started out early but there was 20 of us so were a bit slower than our itinerary. The group was actually sub-divided into… ahhhmmn, I don’t know how many. J Well, I was with Summer, and my climb mates from G2, Kuya Nolie, Erbz, Paul, Kuya Bernie and Ate Vangie. I remembered the discussion that day was about love and happiness.
Old crater after the boulders
Is there such a thing as genuine and synthetic happiness? We didn't come into an agreeable conclusion but I was sure we were all happy that day anyway as we reached the boulders and beheld the magnificence of Apo’s boulder face. That side of Apo sure is strong and manly yet caring at the same time, it soothes your weariness with its view. Stones, “how can they be beautiful?”, you may ask. As much as strength with honor awes us, large stones laid down perfectly well by nature showered with bonsai trees and clouds draping in from the blue skies may just be like a strong father showing her daughter how much he loved her (I always think of God this way J). We enjoyed it so much we overstayed, it was already dark when we reached the campsite just below the summit and we were kind of lost on our way to the saddle camp after reaching the old crater, but not so much, just a little bit. 

Our third day was an easy day, early morning the usual sight of the orange sky above the mountain range welcomed us at the summit which is 30 minutes away from our camp. Down below we can see the white fog hovering over our tents justifying the cold. Slowly the orange sky became clearer and hotter as the sun became more visible as if to make a statement for a sunny day ahead. Summit clearing-checked, my requirement for a perfect climb.
our tents are below the fog and the highest peak at my back
Sunrise behind me

But wait, there’s more! While we were taking turns for solo photos at the summit, Ekson, our climb organizer called our attention to witness a once in a lifetime event, a proposal. I have never felt so single my whole life, just kidding, I was actually thinking that maybe it could happen to me too, right? I was grateful to have witnessed that event and be with the happiest man and woman on earth at that hour (Jennifer and John). Looking at them makes me think that maybe I haven’t really grasped what true love is, because they felt so secure with each other and I haven’t felt like that with anyone. Anyhow, I am learning and I am starting from within. J

the proposal
Before this becomes a blog about love, after the proposal we went on with our lives as usual, went down back to the camp, had our breakfast and just went on discussing love again till it rained, showers at first then it became heavy along with the strong wind. So much for the thought of a sunny day ahead, good thing we have already prepared our lunch. We decided to get inside our tents, and what happened after that? I don’t know I was asleep (even with water flooding our tent) until Ekson woke me up when the rain stopped because a climb mate, Marlon doing a day-hike (hardcore) that day has arrived, we just greeted each other and then went on to prepare to go down, them to the jump off via Kapatagan trail, us just down at Lake Venado 30–45 minutes below the summit. Easy day.
he never runs out of stories, look at the hand
Early on our fourth day, we took pictures of the summit from the Lake, you would think that there is nothing to go down to and that it would be an even surface from there on because of the wide flat land you can see, no ridges, and if you look up you can only see the summit like you have already gone down from the mountain, very deceiving.
After everything was packed and prayers have been said we started the day to end our three-day hike (first day excluded), but instead of a downhill trail what I saw behind the trees around the lake was an uphill one, and I was like, seriously? We had a couple of ups and downs before reaching the same jump off, Sta. Cruz, from a different trail this time, the Century trail. It’s where you see century old trees and tree bridges, I actually think they were cut down on purpose just to serve as bridges for the small rivers. This idea of going on the same jump off from two different trails was genius, we got to enjoy the all the best that Apo had to offer!
along one of the campsite - century trail
Long story short, all 20 of us got down safely, just a little late from our itinerary but safe. We left Sta. Cruz (jump off) around 17:30 that day and arrived at the City proper (Davao) at around 21:00, thankful and blessed.
After the climb I saw this campaign from Always (a feminist group I think) about changing how people think about the phrase, "like a girl", and from this climb I borrowed their tagline. Don’t get me wrong, I highly respect men and I marvel at their strength, I am a believer that real gentlemen still exist and the world is so much better with them in it. Men and women are created equal but the design is different, that doesn't mean however that a woman can’t climb a mountain, ride a bike and sky dive, it just means that we approach things differently. Now, here’s to the ladies out there who love the outdoors as much as I do, “What if climbing like girl means reaching the summit and going down safe?”.
Waving the flag on top made me feel something.
Till the next mountains.

If you want to contact our guide, see his number below.
09212863859 – Kuya Tata


2 comments: