Monday, May 6, 2013

Finally Meeting Calaguas



Calaguas is one gorgeous Island - can be an understatement. I was planning to visit this place way back the last quarter of 2012 but wasn’t able to. Finally, last Holy Week – March 28-31, I along with my three mountaineer friends finally had the chance to greet this charming Island.

First thing’s first - how to get there? Simple, if you are going by bus – which we did, ride a bus going to Daet, as far as I know buses leaving for Daet have terminals in Pasay and Alabang. When you reach Daet, you’d know because the Conductor will wake you up (and I’m assuming you’d be asleep like I was J), from there, depending on the time you arrive you can ride another bus going to Paracale but if you arrive before 7am you need to ride a tricycle to take you to the bus station of Paracale bound buses . You will be dropped near the port if you tell the conductor of course. If you already have your contact you just have to meet with them and buy your food at the market and off you go to an almost 2-hour boat ride. If you are going by plane however, I have no idea how you can get there, sorry. J

As I have said the Island is gorgeous, except that they are now putting in some bar or I don’t know because we didn’t go near the place where we heard the disco music is coming from. If they are going to turn this place into something like Boracay, this place’s fame will end before its starts. No offense, I know some people like to party in a beach but most of the time people get away from the city to experience the serenity of these beautiful remote areas. I mean if you want to party, why not in the city? We have already turned Boracay and Galera into some Disco Islands, can’t we spare this one? I hope the Government people running this Island will come to realize the importance of keeping the Island in its original state and form (which is solid and liquid :D). Okay, what I’m trying to say is they should keep it the way God created it - serene and beautiful where the only music you’d hear is of nature. And if I could I would suggest they build huts not buildings to keep its laid back ambiance and provide comfort at the same time for those people who can’t stand tents (specially those who have kids – I know its hard :P).

I particularly like that they have something like a common kitchen where you can grill and cook but you have to bring your own cooking paraphernalia. Calaguas also has some pretty neighbors and I am not sure if they currently offered Island Hopping - it wasn’t offered to us and I didn’t bother to ask because the boat fare taking as to and from the island is enough for our pockets already, but I think it is something really worth discovering. Looking at those Islands we pass by I can only dream of owning one and turning it into a private resort – if you might as well dream, dream big right? Anyway, they should also cultivate a snorkeling area so visitors can do more (I can remember rexona’s summer advert – Do More ad maybe they should pay me for it) :D.

Since I’ve already said too much I want to make one more recommendation, Bagasbas will make a really good side trip specially for those folks  into surfing. From Paracale’s port you can ride a tricycle or you can actually just walk to the Van Station (a station for Vans – not sure if this word is already on the dictionary), for a Van that will take you to Daet. Just ask around and trust me the station is really near so if you think you can walk with all your luggage just walk don’t listen to tricycle drivers asking you to ride. You will not be dropped off the beach immediately and you will need to ride a tricycle to take you to the beach. There are a lot of mini-hotels where you can bargain for your price – 375 per head is the cheapest we got due to the peak season as Ate Ada would say – I’ll give you her contact below.

We live in a country called the Pearl of the Orient, blessed with fascinating Islands. I hope and pray that we learn to take care of it and become good stewards of what God has given us.

Please see below for a sample Itinerary (the first time that I’m doing this) and the pictures to peek into the what Calaguas and Bagasbas has to offer:
Day 0 (March 28) 20:30 – Ride the bus bound to Daet (479 PHP/pax)
Day 1 (March 29) 4:30 – arrive at Daet and Breakfast (at ate Fe’s carenderia near the bus station)
   5:30 – ride bus to Paracale (30 PHP/pax)
   6:30 – Arrived at Paracale and bought foods
   7:30 – Boat Ride to Calaguas (we have no contact – we hired the boat there 2500 PHP)
  9:30 – arrived at Calaguas port
We settled our things (pitch tent etc.) and cooked our food, had our lunch and enjoyed the Island. You can basically fill in your own itinerary from this point onwards. We left Calaguas the next day (March 30)  at around 15:30, please see the next day’s itinerary below:
Day2 (March 30) 15:30 – Boat Ride back to Paracale (2500 PHP covers back and forth transpo)
                                  17:00 – arrived at paracale
                                  17:30 – Van ride to Bagasbas (60 PHP)
                                  18:30 – arrived at Bagasbas – and dinner at HOTPOT
                                  19:30 – Trike ride to Bagasbas beach (20 PHP/pax)
                                  20:00 - arrived at Bagasbas beach and settled at White Wave Resort
You can contact Ate Ana (for White Beach Resort) at this number : 0921-744-8427. They have pretty decent rooms and you can bargain if its not the peak season (quoting her). The next day on March 31 we did surfing in the morning and in the afternoon (and that includes breakfast and lunch so to speak) and left for Bagasbas beach at around 16:00.
                                  16:30 – dinner at KSarap
                                  17:30 – Headed to the bus station for Alabang (490 PHP)

Enjoy the pictures below taken by Jonah Ong.

the three ladies- Seia, Terry (me) and Jen (L-R) walking along the beach... the black crow spotted by Jonah and the ever beautiful sunset at calaguas :)




What's cooking? Jen and me... this is how you cook at calaguas


Jen with Ate Fe...





Kain-kain din pag may time..
























Thanks to Jen's magic fire (I forgot what its called really) we had a safe and environment friendly campfire...


Laro-laro din pag may time... Jen, me, Seia and Jonah (L-R)

Jonah's jump shot on a hot black saturday afternoon...


okay, you know us already...


Ready for surfing at Bagasbas

their turn.. alternate so someone's left to take pictures...


the four of us enjoying the waves, Jonah (the only Rose, we were the thorns), Jen, Seia and me (L-R; T-B)

this is one of my favorite me-picture from Calaguas... :D

I hope you enjoyed reading and the pictures but seeing the place first hand is even more fun... Till next time..

No comments:

Post a Comment